Job Description Summary
Environment, Health and Safety (EHS) Leader Sub Sahara Africa will demonstrate leadership and accountability of business EHS priorities, EHS programs, and EHS processes for the Sales and Service organization in the region, including Channel Partners.
- Lead a team of EHS professionals to ensure homogeneity in the culture and support their career growth
- Maintain strong EHS Culture in SSA, with high level of ISO standard (ex: ISO 45001, ISO 14001)
- Develop, implement and maintain organization-specific EHS programs and processes including (but not limited to) Leadership and accountability, Regulatory compliance ,EHS process, Emergency preparedness and fire protection, Risk assessments and safe working procedures for all types of activities, Safety Defenses (e.g. ergonomics, motor vehicle, Lock Out Tag Out-LOTO), Exposure Defense (e.g. medical, radiation, IH, chemical), Hazardous waste management, Contractor safety, Preventive Maintenance, Distributed Workforce, Environment and sustainability and crisis management.
- Implement and drive EHS strategy given by the EMEA EHS Director and her/his team
- Ensure 100% compliance with applicable local regulatory requirements and maintain compliance framework up to date
- Apply and lead company EHS management system as well as local regulatory requirements.
- Lead certain assigned aspects (technical, regulatory/third party interface, reporting, permitting, compliance, financial, administrative, etc.) of projects and permits in compliance with relevant regulatory programs and corporate policies.
- Provide EHS technical leadership, issue resolution, and input to local management
- Evaluate facility EHS conditions, assess risks and develop appropriate corrective-action plans and budgets to address deficiencies in comparison to regulations and internal policy/protocol.
- Participate in EHS compliance and program audits
- Drive improvements in EHS culture, awareness, and accountability
- Plan and conduct EHS training; coach EHS element owners to promote ownership and help them discharge their duties
- Conduct incident / accident investigations and develop corrective and preventative action plans Maintain EHS expertise to provide technical and regulatory support to Operations team; proactively engage stakeholders on site to ensure EHS compliance
- Measure and maintain Local Customer Team EHS metrics and ensure continuous and rigorous reporting to EMEA EHS Director
- Keep management apprised of progress and significant developments on key projects
- Drive continuous improvement in EHS performance and programs
- Assist in responding to significant incidents and government requests/notices
- Interface with environmental, health and safety regulatory agencies as needed
- Bachelor of Science in He, preferably in Chemical, Environmental, Civil, Mechanical and Electrical/Electronic from an accredited University
- Minimum 10 years’ experience in Environment, Health & Safety
- Regulatory knowledge and experience working with different African regulations covering occupational health, process safety, chemical management, emergency preparedness, property transfer, site investigation, environmental requirements, waste management, contamination and capable of learning requirements and applying this experience through the countries
- Proven project and program management skills
- Fluent in English
- Professional certifications (NEBOSH, IEMA, etc).
- Experience managing projects and/or EHS compliance.
- Able to simultaneously manage multiple projects and other responsibilities, adjust to changing priorities and to make decisions with speed and accuracy based on available information.
- Strong Leadership skills and significant experience in managing a team
- Team player with strong interpersonal skills, capable of working within a globally diverse, cross-functional, internal and external team across different time zones.
- Excellent listening capabilities, inclusiveness, ownership and leadership skill
- Excellent oral and written communication, presentation, and negotiation skills.
Inclusion and Diversity
GE Healthcare is an Equal Opportunity Employer where inclusion matters. Employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, religion, national or ethnic origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, protected veteran status or other characteristics protected by law.
Relocation Assistance Provided: No